On December 27, the Council of Ministers approved Royal Decree (RD) 1055/2022 on Packaging and Packaging Waste, which transposes Directive 2018/852 into national law after a long process. In general this new packaging law is a collection of various factors that want to improve the current system in Spain.
Let´s summarize the most important points:
- Reduce the generation of packaging waste through new prevention and reuse targets as well as the implementation of prevention and reuse measures
- New targets for the separate collection and recycling of packaging – also including transport and commercial packaging that are put onto the market
- Change in the use of the Green Dot Symbol. The use of the Green Dot symbol goes from mandatory to voluntary
- New packaging marking obligations, from January 2025 – including showing the containers in which the material can be deposited (to be clarified further)
- Registry of Producers of Packaging Products. The Ministry for the Ecological Transition and Demographic Challenge is setting up its own registry where producers must register and subsequently report all the types of packaging they put on the market (household, commercial and industrial). At first, all the packaging placed on the market in 2021 will have to be reported, and three months later, it will be mandatory to report the 2022 data. For that all foreign companies will have to appoint an AR (similar to the WEEE and battery procedure in place) that can handle this registration (and furthermore reporting) with the registry. The deadline for this registration is the 29th of March 2023.
- Expanded costs of manging packaging waste – as a result the packaging fees for producers will rise in the near future
- Ecomodulation – meaning that “eco-friendlier” packaging will be treated differently
You can find an overview of those main points on the Spanish packaging take back scheme Ecoembes News site via the following link: Decreto envases V2 (ecoembesthecircularcampus.com)
This new law has quite some effects on national and Non-Spanish companies – but Go4recycling will be able to help you with e.g. the new registration process and AR liability (a digital signature with EIDAS conformity, a European VAT as well as the correct NACE code are needed). Feel free to contact us on those packaging compliance issues in Spain.